One would think that the title of this blog is common sense. We all know that drivers are trained to stop at stop signs for their safety and for the safety of others sharing the road. However, not every driver follows road rules. Also, there are other things that prevent a driver from seeing a stop sign.
Because there are many reasons why Orange County car crashes at stop signs occur, including failure to see the stop sign, texting while driving, other distracted driving behaviors, drunk driving, speeding, or reckless driving, drivers need to be reminded how to avoid stop sign crashes.
Drivers DOs and DON’Ts at Stop Signs Include:
- Look out for stop signs and road signs
- Come to a complete stop at a stop sign• Look left, right, straight, and count to three before crossing the stop sign intersection
- Look for pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the crosswalk
- Proceed through the stop sign with great caution
- Ignore stop signs
- Roll through stop signs
- Assume other vehicles will stop at stop signs
- Speed away from the stop sign
By participating in these efforts, drivers may be able to help reduce Orange County crashes that occur at stop signs. In addition to driver efforts, Orange County cities can look to improve stop sign visibility, making sure that ground markings are visible and there are no trees or shrubs in the way of the stop sign.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Mission Viejo car crash at a stop sign, you may have rights to compensation from the negligent driver or the government agency responsible for the upkeep of the streets and stop sign visibility. Call a qualified Mission Viejo personal injury lawyer today at the Law Offices of John P. Burns at (877)320-1338 for a free legal consultation.