How to Get Video from a Bystander in an Accident Case

If you’re in an accident, you may not remember exactly what happened. Even if you aren’t Camcorderinjured, you may be in shock or events may have felt different to you than how they actually occurred.

The first thing you should do is call the police to the scene of the accident. If you notice someone recording events, or if someone tells you that they have video, ask them to turn it over to the police, or tell the police they have it. You can also ask them to send you the video, or ask for their contact information so that you can get it later.

The police will talk to witnesses and get any photos or video that may have been taken. Remember, witnesses and smartphones aren’t your only source of video. Nearby businesses may have surveillance cameras that captured your accident, and traffic cameras may also have footage. Make note of the stores or businesses in the area and the intersection of the accident for your attorney. An attorney can get video surveillance footage later if your case requires it.

You can also take your own photos or video of the accident scene, which can help show damage, road conditions, and where the cars came to rest, or any property damage caused. Just make sure your car is out of traffic and that you are not endangering yourself to get photos or video.

Get more information in our eBook, 9 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Accident Case. You can download the book for free and read more about accident issues in the book.

If you have been in an accident and have questions, please contact us. It’s free to ask questions, so contact us directly at 949-496-7000 or email us at We’ll be sure to get back to you within 24 hours.