Driving next to a semi truck down the 5 freeway can be somewhat nerve racking. We all know that the sheer size and weight of a truck can destroy our vehicles and leave us with serious injuries. Everyday driving becomes more difficult with trucks on the road. In addition, they kick up rocks that may crack windshields or nick the paint on cars.
Even though driving next to or behind a big rig can be frustrating and dangerous, it may be unavoidable as trucks remain essential to our economy in delivering goods across the nation. Unfortunately, truck drivers do tend to drive too many miles and hours in a row, which contributes to truck accidents in California and across the nation. The following are common reasons why truck accidents occur:
- Driver fatigue – Truck drivers often feelre sometimes pressured to make deadlines, and thus drive far too many miles and hours without sleep. This can cause them to fall asleep at the wheel.
- Aggressive driving – Truck drivers cause accidents when they display aggressive habits, such as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and failing to yield.
- Unsafe loads – Truck drivers are trained to make sure cargo gets loaded properly and tied down for even weight distribution.. If done improperly, a truck coulda crash.
- Poorly trained drivers – Truck drivers need to pass both a written and e-road test to become certified. They must also receive medical clearance. Unfortunately, these requirements are sometimes disregarded.
- Faulty equipment – Regular maintenance of trucks can help prevent such issues as flat tires, brake failure, and steering problems.
Auto accidents in Southern California involving large trucks can cause catastrophic injuries to the driver and passengers of the vehicle. Many victims of semi truck accidents experience brain injury, spinal cord injury, (link to Injuries Sustained from Truck Accident Article) paralysis, and serious back and neck injuries.. Victims of a truck accident may be unconscious commas for a certain length of time, may have to undergo several surgeries to try and repair injuries and spinal surgery, or may even die.
By making sure that you are aware of large trucks around you and that you understand how these semi truck accidents occur, you could avoid being involved in one. If you or a family member has been involved and injured in a truck accident, then contact the Law Office of John P. Burns at (877) 320-1338. You also can visit our website to request your free book, 9 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Vehicle Accident Case.