You never know when your car is going to break down or when you will get into an accident. Because of that, it’s important to be prepared with what you might need if that happens. Here are ten items to help you be prepared in an emergency.
- Jumper Cables – if your battery dies and you need to get it started, having a set of jumper cables will make it easy to get it started again.
- First-Aid Kit – keep a basic first-aid kit handy in your car. If you injure yourself, you will be glad you have it.
- Fix-a-Flat – instead of having to change your tire on the side of the road, or wait for a tow truck, use fix-a-flat to temporarily seal and inflate your tire to get you to a tire repair shop.
- Flashlight – if you breakdown in the dark, having a flashlight available will be extremely useful. Be sure to keep an extra set of batteries as well.
- Water and Non-Perishable Snacks – breaking down in a remote are can mean a long wait until a tow truck can reach you. Having water and some food will help sustain you until they get there.
- Hazard Triangle and Roadside Flares – if you have been in an accident or your car is on the side of the road, setting up these will help notify other drivers of your location so they can avoid you.
- Cell Phone Charger – this will make sure you have enough power in your phone to make any phone calls you need.
- Blanket – if you breakdown when it’s especially cold, you will be glad you have a blanket to keep you warm.
- Emergency Cash – this is good to have if you need to pay a toll or need to make an unexpected purchase.
- Disposable Camera and Notebook – use these when you have been in an accident. Take pictures of your car, their car and the broader scene. Use the notebook to take down their information and make notes of the accident.
It’s impossible to predict when or where you might need these, so taking the time to put these in your car as soon as possible is recommended. While they might sit there for a long time, you will glad you have them when you need them.
If you have been in an accident and were injured, please feel free to contact us at 949-496-7000. The first call is always free and we will be sure to answer any questions you have.